Project
Taxonomy Extension RC1
8 years, 2 months ago Posted in: Project 21

It has been quite long since ! 1.6 Alpha came, and there have been a lot of changes made in ! 1.6 since then. Further, it was also decided to adapt the architecture slightly to follow !.

The major changes since beta, excluding bug fixes are

1. TreeMaps are made standalone entities (equal to Trees and Leaves), with CRUD.
  2. Utility functions are moved to JTaxonomy class which is the primary entry point for taxonomy extension.
  3. Autocomplete feature is further brushed up to provide better user experience.
  4. Taxonomy Cloud and Taxonomy Cumulus are provided.

The package provided below contains

1. Taxonomy Library : API classes
  2. Taxonomy Component : To provide management forms in the backend and listings in the frontend
  3. Content_MapTaxonomy Plugin : To store taxonomy-content mappings in the event of a post save.
  4. Content_Taxonomy Plugin : To provide taxonomy links inside the article in frontend.
  5. Taxonomy_Content Plugin : To generate output of content posts under leaf listing
  6. Taxonomy Cumulus Module : To generate cumulus and cloud of taxonomy terms
  7. Modified com_content file : To insert Taxonomy options into content edit form.

The suggested installation order is as follows

1. Copy the following directories into Joomla! installation
    • libraries
    • administrator (will replace a com_content file)
  2. Install com_taxonomy.zip : Under taxonomy component, go to configurations to fine-tune
  3. Install plg_content_maptaxonomy.zip
  4. Install plg_content_taxonomy.zip : Go to settings to style up the output
  5. Install plg_taxonomy_content.zip
  6. Install mod_taxonomycumulus.zip : Add one or more instances (there are two modes available – cloud and cumulus, and you might want to add one from each, configure them from settings)

You might also want to take a look at the demo, before digging in

Visit : http://demo.theebgar.net/gsoc2009

1. There are two taxonomy trees created and mapped to com_content. One is used to represent the language of the post, and the other for free terms (tagging) with autocomplete. Both are not controlled (i.e. properties can be edited and member leaves ย can be added and edited from com_taxonomy backend)
  2. On the frontend
    1. Sidebar
      1. Mod_taxonomyCumulus is used in Cloud mode to represent Language Tree (<br /> delmiter is used with sorting by weight in descending direction)
      2. Mod_taxonomyCloud is used in Cumulus mode to represent tags (white background with no transparency is used)
    2. Content Posts
      1. Taxonomy links are presented before content with “,” delimiter, “<em><small>” prefix and “</em></small><br />” suffix.
      2. By clicking a taxonomy term in that link you could navigate to taxonomy listing page for that term
    3. Taxonomy Link from menu
      It will take you to the listing pages
  3. On the backend
  1. Send a request for access details (use the contact form here) .
  2. By using component menu navigate to Taxonomy Management Pages
    1. Have a look at Taxonomy Configurations, and follow the help provided
    2. Add / Edit trees
    3. Add / Edit Tree maps with other components
    4. Add / Edit leaves to a tree
    5. Have a look at the tree hierarchy and leaf maps
  3. Navigate to Article Managment and add an article or edit one.
    Under Taxonomy Panel from the sidepane, you could notice that the terms from Taxonomy Trees mapped are listed

Screenshots

Taxonomy Extension Frontend
Taxonomy Extension Frontend
Taxonomy Extension Backend
Taxonomy Extension Backend
Related Posts

21 Responses

1. vipart says:

Nice work!

But I can’t find where to download these files:
    – com_taxonomy.zip
    – plg_content_maptaxonomy.zip
    – plg_content_taxonomy.zip
    – plg_taxonomy_content.zip
    – mod_taxonomycumulus.zip

From your previous post I found where SVN repository resides: http://labs.joomla.org/svn/labs/playground/people/garthee/trunk

• garthee says:

sorry for the inconvenience, it is that every time I save the post, I have to tick the “Show Attachments” and sometimes I forget to ๐Ÿ™‚

2. vipart says:

Thanks. I use the latest revision (12612) of Joomla 1.6 development. I installed the files by the order you mentioned, but still cannot see Taxonomy under Components in the back-end. The tables jos_components and jos_extensions were filled correctly (at a first glance), I don’t have a clue why this is so.

But there is nothing to worry about since I can access your Taxonomy component via direct URL: http://localhost/Joomla1.6/administrator/index.php?option=com_taxonomy

3. vipart says:

Unfortunately, I cannot create Taxonomy Tree. When I press “New” button, I get the following notices at the “Details” groupbox:
    – Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:wampwwwJoomla1.6librariesjoomlaformform.php on line 806
    – Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:wampwwwJoomla1.6librariesjoomlaformform.php on line 786

Can you tell me 1.6 Joomla SVN revision number under which this Taxonomy Extension RC1 was released?

4. garthee says:

1. Menu entries should be created automatically (please check the demo site)
    2. RC1 is tested against SVN revision number 12596 and the demo site is running the same revision.

5. vipart says:

Thanks. 12596 revision generates menu entries, but during creation of new tree I get the same errors.

Which PHP version did you use?

6. vipart says:

Sorry, I see from your server that you have 5.2.6 PHP. I tested with the same php version. Something is wrong with your RC1.

1. I checked out 12596 revision from Joomla development trunk http://joomlacode.org/svn/joomla/development/trunk
    2. Made absolutely clean install and loaded sample data while installing.
    3. Copied those 2 directories you provided
    4. Installed com_taxonomy.zip.

While creating taxonomy tree I see this page: http://www.fileqube.com/shared/CYlYtV1512778?view=1

7. vipart says:

2. Made absolutely clean install and loaded sample data while installing.
    3. Copied those 2 directories you provided
    4. Installed com_taxonomy.zip.

p.s. sorry for posting again but the first comment didn’t appear

8. vipart says:

I see from your server that you have 5.2.6 PHP, mine the same. I posted comment with a link to the screenshot but I think that comment was marked as a spam by your WordPress anti-spam tools.

Nevertheless, I cannot create any tree…

9. garthee says:

Ahh I think it has some old version files (com_taxonomy for Joomla! 1.6 alpha), can you replace administrator/components/com_taxonomy with the files below : http://senduit.com/0dd1bd

Thanks for the try and all the trouble you took.

I will update the attached zip soon.

10. vipart says:

No worries ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you so much, now it works correctly!

11. vipart says:

You forgot to update the attached zip

12. vipart says:

Dear garthee,

How can I map leaf with content? I know how to do this manually editing database tables, but rather I would like to try it in the administrator interface (back-end). Should I firstly insert into table jos_taxonomy_tree_maps (since I cannot do this in back-end):
    – tid = my tree ID
    – extension = ‘Articles’ (I guess)
    – required = 1
    – multiple = 0
    in order to show up taxonomy in article editing form?

13. garthee says:

Hi,

Thanks for reminding me, I wanted to do a thorough check before uploading and I am currently travelling. I will do it soon.

Regarding your question, a typical usage sequence of taxonomy extension will be

1. Add a new tree, and set its properties
    In the demo site under http://demo.theebgar.net/gsoc2009/administrator/index.php?option=com_taxonomy&view=trees
    Eg new tree called – languages with flat hierarchy. Since you are manually creating (and of course manually managing) you wouldn’t need to make it controlled. Also relations can be enabled.

2. Assign it to a component under tree maps
    In the demo site by clicking add tree map.
    you might want to connect to com_content so that you can categorize content by the language

3. Create leaves under the tree you have created. For example, you might want to create trees – English, Spanish, French and Tamil.

4. Now if you go to article edit screen, for example, in demo site, http://demo.theebgar.net/gsoc2009/administrator/index.php?option=com_content&task=article.edit&cid%5B%5D=47, under that side panel, you get taxonomy pane, where you could select the language leaf to map the content with.

Hope it helps

14. vipart says:

Thank you so much. I expected that sequence, the only thing I couldn’t manage to do was to find the “Add tree map” button, since it’s very unintuitive (but I did that manually adding the record to the database).

The other problem is that you have to know the extension name – com_content in this case – (you cannot select them from i.e. drop down list, but this is a small problem and can be solved in the future).

Now everything works, thank you again and have a good travelling

15. garthee says:

I will be doing a webinar shortly where I expect to cover all these concerns too, and of course will update the zip file then.

Further, regarding your question, currently any name can be used in place of com_content but it should match the choice that was made earlier in taxonomy-tree-maps. As you said it is a minor item, and could be paid attention along the development.

16. vipart says:

I wonder if this project is finished?

17. ssnobben says:

Hope its finished and also is there any update or news ? Hope you keep updating bcs its nice if Joomla also have this taxonomy features working…

all the best!

18. Tomas says:

Hi, – is there a 1.5 version also…?